Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 11, 2011

A conch-shell blares -- not the crashing waves

A conch-shell blares -- not the crashing waves

Ralph's greatest will

Can't put a stopper to heat knaves

That just now jungle simmered still.



An awe came over Piggy!

The figure twisted with grace,

Then quivered out of shimmering waters

Into the palm-tree lined lagoon.





It will not stir to action,

This desolate mound of dirt;

The island contents to be without,

While cool, uncivilized No


Nods from the solemn boys,

Nods from giggling babes,

Decades of civilization destroyed between

The conch-shell and small men.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not sure this is what I asked for in the assignment: a "Found Poem" that uses Golding's original words and is rearranged by you...illustrating Setting and Atmosphere. Nevertheless, this is a good poem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I apologize for the late reply; just saw your comment. I think I misunderstood a found poem to mean finding a poem written by someone else and substituting words while retaining structure. My bad.

    ReplyDelete